In 2006 a DVD was released called The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. I’m not even sure how I became aware of this video, but at some point that year I bought and watched it – – several times. This was my mid-forties (age-wise) and fairly close to my initial uber-launch of seeking, discovering and growing. I still have the DVD in my library and re-watch it periodically for inspiration and re-affirmation. The world inundates you in negativity which will dampen and destroy your spirit, so a renewal of inspiration is sometimes needed.
While some banal reviewers may negatively criticize the video claiming that it’s over-dramatized or stupid, the essence of The Secret – The Law of Attraction – heretofore is pretty much a real secret. The bottom line is we are not taught this philosophy in any school. You’d be hard-pressed to find friends, family, teachers or counselors who are even remotely familiar with this esoteric concept prior to the video’s release.
As with most anything, rather than blindly accept the inane-mob opinion, the seeker and growth-oriented individual’s goal should be to determine whether there are any nuggets to take away – – anything of use to our personal life, growth and development. From that perspective, the discovery of this DVD hit home for me. I resonated with its message and have successfully used its philosophy since.
For those souls open to metaphysical teachings of a higher consciousness and philosophy, there’s a wealth of positive, impactful and life-changing messages within. Messages that will help you take full control over your life:
- Thoughts become things: thoughts, emotions & actions draw to you exactly what you focus upon
- You attract what you think about most – energy attracts like energy: positive vibrations attract positive results; negative vibrations attract negative results; energy flows where attention goes
- Your thoughts and your feelings create your life – what you focus upon (positive or negative) is what you draw to yourself and manifest
- You are the architect of your life and designer of your destiny
- You are in charge of your joy and bliss – joy lies within you
- Focus on joy, possibility, gratitude – on what you want (not what you don’t want)
- Visualize yourself with the good that you desire
- Gratitude empowers you and allows new things to enter your life
The Secret also peaked my interest with regards to the origins for the content in the video (The Law of Attraction). It’s referenced in a few places, but after some digging I came to discover that it was based on the New Thought Movement of the late 1800s through early 1900s. It can also be traced back to the Hermetic Laws of ancient-Egypt/early-Greece.
Some of the more prominent of the New Thought publications include:
- The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace Wattles (1910) [Rhonda Byrne’s initial inspiration]
- Thought Vibration – The Law of Attraction in the Thought World by William Walker Atkinson (1908)
- Secret of the Ages by Robert Collier (1926)
- As A Man Thinketh by James Allen (1903)
- Master Key System by Charles Haanel (1912)
- Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill (original unedited version – 1937)
That which you focus upon – whether positive or negative – will manifest in your life. The choice is yours.